Welcome Fall and Winter
As we watch the leaves change colors we know that cold, ice and snow are not far behind. With these bring extra slippery conditions and a worry about falls. Here are a few interesting facts about falls and few suggestions to help you avoid them. Did you know?
- More than one-third of adults age 65 years of age or older fall each year?
- An older adult is 4 times more likely to be hospitalized for a fall than for any other injury
- Falls are the leading cause of an older adult’s disability, early admission to a nursing home and death
- Fractures are the most prevalent injury from a fall with an injury to soft tissue also very common
What can you do to avoid a fall?
- Schedule an appointment at Jaworski Physical Therapy, Inc. for an exam to identify problems with walking and balance which may lead to a fall.
- Talk to your therapist on how to modify your home environment to keep you safe from falls.
- Talk to your therapist about exercises and activities you can practice to prevent a fall.